Sunday 1 May 2011

Shells

As I am going to create an underwater scene, I have gathered together some shells and photographed them. Initially, I used a beach as my studio as I thought it might be useful to see how the sand gathers at the bottom of the shells and pieces of coral. Then I continued to get more shells and took some more photographs. I have also completed some observational studies of the shells. See sketchbook.
Whelk
Ormer - above and below
 
The Ormer is my favourite shell of all the ones I have collected. The opalescence is beautiful, and I hope to be able to recreate it digitally for a section of my underwater kingdom. I also like the structure of the shell, with the swirling peak and graduating holes.
Coral
I am glad I found several examples of coral pieces, as I am eager to use coral as a section of my foreground and thought I would struggle to get any. However, these pieces are beautiful with astounding textures.
Scallop or Clam and Razor Shell
I am glad also I found such a large example of the clam, as I can now gain lots of information from in terms of detail to create a very realistic version of it in my final image. I also got hold of two pieces of a small scallop shell, which fit together perfectly. This will allow me to accurate create an open/shut clam in my image.
Common Top Shell and Periwinkle
Tower Shell
I am considering using the Tower shell as a design basis for the turrets of my underwater castle. I think the twisting motion and strong peak will create an intriguing effect in my image. I also like the way the colours rise and change with the structure. This helps to add a sense of scale to the object.
Variegated Scallop
Whilst I was at the beach, I was looking at the sand and how the wind made ripples on its surface. I thought that this could be useful to look at for the sea bed in my design. The effect is less clear on some of the images, but I am now able to study the ripples and could take another trip to the beach if I feel I need to.

No comments:

Post a Comment