Tuesday 10 May 2011

Lenticular Lens Two - May 20th

Unfortunately, I have only just been able to try out this technique as I have been waiting to get hold of a lenticular lens to strip and use for my own purposes. I have finally got one that measures 7.06x4.6cm. I was able to strip it using turps, which put a whole in the printed film; I could then use my fingers to expand the whole and peel off the rest of image.


I then began work in Photoshop. I used a magnifying glass to count how many grooves were in a millimetre of the plastic lens; I then transferred this information into Photoshop, creating a thick field of guides to help me map out the images.
Once the guides were complete, I created two simple images, one large sphere and one small sphere. My plan was to then use the guides to create alternate strips of the different images. When printed out and lined up with the grooves, this would then create a motion effect where the small sphere grows and the large sphere shrinks.

However, as things are never as simple as you expect, the end product didn't work. There are so many points that could have gone wrong; I am unsure exactly where the problem occurred. I think the most likely cause was that the strips and the grooves didn't match up; unfortunately, this isn't a problem that can be easily solved, as each strip is so small that Photoshop simply can't calculate it.

I have tried several attempts at making the process work, both the motion effects and the 3D effects, but none have succeeded. Although the attempts have failed and I am disappointed, I am glad I have tried it. Now I can move on and continue with the development of my ideas.

See sketchbook for printed images.

No comments:

Post a Comment