Tuesday 10 May 2011

Lenticular Lens

I have been looking at my DVD collection and have come across two examples with special slip covers. These have what is known as a Lenticular lens, which creates a variety of effects on images, including transformations, animations and 3D effects known as Stereoscopic effects; and I began wondering if I could create such a 3D effect in my illustrations. I have carried out some research into the techniques of printing, image preparation ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenticular_printing ) and have realised it would be impractical for me to create such an effect on the large scale I am hoping to. However, it is still an interesting process to research and I am interested in creating a miniature example.


Lenticular lenses are often used on novelty products, such as bookmarks, and so if I can get hold of one of these products I could try to strip it of its original image and apply my own using a printed sheet of paper. Usually the process would call for lithographic printing processes, but I don't have the time to experiment to this extent. I could produce a Transformation or Animation effect quite easily. It would require a short series of images, which would then be sliced into equal strips and layered alternately. I would have to be sure to measure the strips correctly and accurately, as this could very easily ruin the final outcome.


I realise that the success of this process is a long-shot, but I am willing to put aside a couple of days to experimenting with the outcome.
Lenticular Lens - Example

No comments:

Post a Comment