Friday 27 May 2011

Little Mermaid Continued Two

This will the final stage of major work to this illustration, after this I will move on to start a new image and return to this one at a later time to make any final adjustments.

Light Rays and Highlights
To make the lights rays through the deep water, I am using a technique I discovered in my previous project. This is to use the gradient tool on a setting called "Noise", which creates a range of harsh lines. These can then be integrated into the image creating the effect of light. I then used Filter>Render>Clouds and>Different Clouds to create the wavy effect on water. This reinforces the effect of the light rays as well as creates a sense of wavy water movement. Finally, I use Render>Clouds once again to create a set of wavy highlights on the sea bed. I have also experimented with the pathway, as it seems to be less obvious with the highlights; however, it might need more work at later stage.

Adding Brick Texture
It was suggested to me that I consider adding more texture to the image, so I began with the castle and decided to try bricks. I took some first-hand photographs of a variety of brick walls, and began layering them underneath the sand layers in my image. I am unconvinced towards the success of this experimentation. I can see how the addition of this could benefit the image by creating a better sense of reality and depth, but I also liked the imagery it created through the representation of a sand castle.
I decided to continue experimenting with textures, including cracked sand and fewer bricks. The cracked sand didn't work, but I became interested in the potential of fewer bricks. I created the original layer by selecting and deleting all the actual bricks, leaving just the mortar. This could then be erased and merged with each section of the castle. I used the warp tool to create the right shape for the towers.
Below are the three different textures I have applied to the castle. Although I still like the original plain sand walls, I have come to appreciate the effect of the lighter brickwork. The bricks in the centre image are too bold and dominant, it creates the wrong impression in the viewer, and so I will continue with the right-most image.
More Highlights
Looking closely at my piece, I realised that some of the shadows needed darkening, so I used Image>Adjustments>Curves to create a stronger contrast on each element of my image. I then began work on creating water highlights on the castle. I did this by duplicating the highlights on the sea bed and angling them to suite the rooftops. I then erased the sections that weren't needed. I repeated this process on the rest of building depending where the light is hitting it. I am particularly pleased with the outcome of this simple task. The highlights help to bring all the elements together and make them interact more realistically.

Shadows
As an extension of my previous task, I began adding shadows from each element. I began with a shadow from the red trees onto the blue bushes and the side of castle's main tower. The shadows were created by duplicating the layer, painting it black and manipulating it to the right shape and opacity. I used the same process on the castle to create a large shadow right across itself. This took quite a long time, as each element behaves differently on top of another. But I am very happy with how it turned out; each element interacts with another making the whole image more realistic.

Pathway
I have decided to revisit the pathway as it seems to have become buried in the sand. The best way to solve the problem was to make the path darker and more obvious. However, I am still unsure if this works within the composition, but I am prepared to leave it as it is until a better solution comes along.
Final Image
Above is the final illustration for The Little Mermaid. I am very pleased with the final look of this piece. It has some very interesting elements and some highly detailed sections, which I hope with catch the viewers' eye and intrigue. Although I have not added all of the elements I had initially intended - the shells lining the path, etc. - I am still in the process of evaluation. I will return to this image in a few days and make a decision in terms of additions and alterations.

Full Size Experimental Print
Print in Doorway
In order to get a better idea of scale, I have printed my illustration on several sheets of A4 and pieced them together. Although it is in black and white, it is very exciting for me to see my work at such a large scale and I am still confident in my designs. I was hoping that this process would help to point out flaws in my work, but unfortunately the quality of printing is quite poor and so this became impossible. I may decide to do a further test print, perhaps in colour, before the final show; however, I also have to remember that the pieces aren't designed to be looked at closely. I have designed these pieces to be viewed from a few paces away, not directly face to face. This will give me some leeway for flaws and imperfections, which I don't have time to dwell on in such a short deadline time.

No comments:

Post a Comment