Sunday 12 June 2011

Rapunzel Creation

As I have decided to stick to my original composition plan, I will now begin creative the piece.
Tower
I have applied similar techniques to the tower as I did to the castle in the Little Mermaid, as I found it to be very successful. I traced the tower's shape from the mock-up image and created a grey scale version of the structure, this will create smooth transitions between shadows and highlights. This was then layered over with a plain brown and some brickwork. The same process was used to create the rooftop; only instead of brickwork, I created a linear gradient to create the effect of straw or shingles.
I have then added a window into the side of the tower; this is where the braid of hair will hang from. I decided against the circular hole I had originally designed, and replaced it with an arch-shape. I think this is much more appropriate and suited to the structure. I have created a range of shadows with an ochre highlight inside the hole; this could represent a lit candle.
Completed Tower

Creating the Plait
(http://vector.tutsplus.com/tutorials/illustration/how-to-create-a-hair-braid-pattern-brush-in-illustrator/)
In order to create a realistic looking plait, I have decided to follow the above online tutorial that will take me through the process of making a brush in the shape of a plait.
I found this tutorial very interesting, as I have never made my own brush before. The design was simple to create and I enjoyed the process. However, I did find it difficult to actually save it as a brush. I did manage to, but couldn't open it in Photoshop, as were my intentions. However, I was able to get around this by transferring my tower to Illustrator, drawing the plait to the right length and shape and transferring them back into Photoshop.
Once the plait was in Photoshop, I was able to alter the colour to my requirements. I have added a red bow to the plaits end, as it is often a symbol of innocence, which is very much a common theme in fairy tales.

Pathway
I have added some texture to the existing path, by using Filter>Render>Clouds and adding some Noise. This has created a gravel effect, which I think is appropriate for a pathway.

Trees
I have begun working on the surrounding forest, starting with the background. I have taken two separate forest photographs, layered them together and merged them in a way that creates a dense atmosphere. I think it is important to create a dark scene in this image, as the forest would be very thick and over grown. This is why I have also altered the Brightness/Contrast settings on these images, as this darkened the scene and got rid of the blue sky and sunlight that was too obvious on the leaves. I have begun to add tree trunks and grass to the edge of the pathway, as this is how it would be in nature.

Size
At this stage, I am beginning to be concerned with the scale of the tower. I seem to have hit a dilemma in the perspective I am creating. While the tower is surrounded by trees, it looks very small; but when the size is increased, the sense of depth is lost. I have decided to go ahead with the centre scale, as it seems to be a good balance between the other two.

Bushes
I am now beginning work on the brushes that line the path. I wanted to add bushes as it would help to fill the composition and create a denser atmosphere. However, they are becoming a major problem. They are very time consuming to clean up, but still look very out of place at the end of it! I am also now becoming aware of time constraints, and am concerned that if I continue on this path i will not finish on time or will have an image that isn't as effective as I was hoping. I have decided to consider other compositions and surrounding scenery.

No comments:

Post a Comment