Thursday 9 June 2011

Inchelina Continued Two

Shadows
I began by adding shadows to the reeds as they are the most complicated. I applied the same techniques I used to create shadows on the seaweeds in the Little Mermaid; by creating a black version of each strand and warping it to create a realistic shadow. I also used this technique on the flowers floating in the river.
I also added a reflection of each flower in the water, which helps to create a better impression of water. I also realised that I would need to do this to the riverbank, and so I reflected that in the water too. I have also changed the settings on each of the lilypads' shadow settings. These are now much more accurate. I have also added some fish-shaped shadows below the water. This is a link back to the story, when the fish bite-free the lily pad that Inchelina is stranded on. They are quite faint, but I like them to be subtle.
Above is the completed image for my interpretation of Inchelina. I am pleased with the outcome. Although it took a while to get going, I have worked hard and developed my original mock-up into something much more interesting to look at and realistic. I feel I overcame many technical problems within the creation of this illustration, and I have learnt many new skills that will help me in the future. At this stage, I consider this image complete; however, in a week's time (hopefully, after completing my final illustration) I may wish to return to in order to make any final adjustments to this image and the Little Mermaid.

No comments:

Post a Comment