Wednesday 22 June 2011

Completed Doors, Layouts and Images in Doors

Below are images of my final layout of doors and cupboards mounted up on the wall. I based this layout on one of the design sketches I produced, while experimenting with layout.
I am very pleased with how the wall looks, and am glad I decided to create a range of smaller doors, as these have added more interest to the wall and filled in lots of the white space. As I said in a previous post, I was able to balance the layout of my doors, in terms of difference in colour due to the staining. This was very important, as the difference is now unnoticeable; whereas if the outcome had been different it may have spoilt the overall look. However, the layout is exactly how I imagined and I am excited to begin adding my image to the doors.
Above are my final images in position behind the large doors. The prints I ordered are of good quality, and I pieced them together very easily. Unfortunately, I made some measurements wrong and have had to reduce each one 11cm in height before being able to fit them into the frames. This was disappointing, but I was tactical in what I cut off and was sure to leave the important elements. I have also had to leave an extra bit of white (5mm) on one long side, as it turned out to be a little too thin. However, I have been able to hide this away behind the hinge of the doors and they are barely noticeable.

After solving this problem, I was then faced with another; how to put the large images behind the frames. Originally, I had thought about mounting the images the wall and putting the frames over the top. But I soon realised that this was not a good idea, as wood stain was likely to rub off on the images (leaving ugly brown marks) or the drill/screwdriver could tear the paper. Neither of these outcomes was appealing. So, I had the doors mounted first. I considered sliding the images underneath the frames, creating a nice overlap and neat edges. However, after some testing on a smaller door, I realised that this could have the same affects as the previous plan, i.e. spoil the prints. It was at this point, I decided the best was would be to cut the images the exactly the size of the inside of the frame and hang them with pins at the edges. This is the technique I used. It was very effective, and I was able to hang them in place with minimal damage to the prints. I will also be able to remove them with further damage. However, this process took longer than I thought, and now feel a little behind on other sections of my project.

No comments:

Post a Comment