Sunday 26 June 2011

Final Evaluation

Looking back at my project and comparing it with my initial project proposal, I realise that the outcome has changed little from what I aimed for at the start. Although the stories I chose to illustrate were different to the ones I originally suggested, I realise that these were only ideas at the very start of the project and were always likely to change in the early stages and they have benefitted the understanding and interest in my work. The final presentation of the project has also changed, by increasing the amount of doorways and adding relevant images and objects behind them. This was suggested during a critique, I decided to look further into this idea, and I am glad I did as it has now created a much more interesting and enjoyable exhibition.
During this project, I used a variety of digital techniques and skills, in both photo manipulation and digital painting, to help me to successfully build my images. As I have already used the computer programmes for several projects, I felt comfortable using Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator to help me to create the scenes and imagery I wanted. I also feel the physical materials I chose to use in the final part of my project were particularly effective. I used different types of wood to build the doors and cupboards for my exhibition, which are sturdy in their structure and aid the concept I was aiming for.
As an art student, I believe that all projects could benefit from additional research; there is always another route that could be explored. Personally, I could have looked further into three dimensional imaging techniques, as I was very interested in creating some 3D scenes. I began to explore this area briefly, but found it very difficult to replicate the results, and so I felt it would be more worthwhile to stay on track as I was becoming aware of looming deadlines. This additional secondary research could have taken me down a very different route, but I am glad I stayed on track and stuck to my original intentions.
At several points in this project, I was very aware of time constraints, which definitely had an impact on the work I produced. The main thing I would have improved on if I’d have had more time was to better develop some of the illustrations I created; in particular, the large Rapunzel illustration. In the end I felt that this piece was a little rushed and I spent less time on this image than the other two. However, this is understandable because there were fewer elements in that piece than the rest. I might also have spent longer adding more subtle elements to each illustration. During the first few weeks, I thought about adding subtle images within each piece that would symbolise events/characters in the stories. However, time constraints made me focus on each image as a whole, rather than individual additional elements. But, I think this could have improved my illustrations and made them more intricate and interesting to my audience.
When I started this project, I already had a wide range of digital imaging techniques that I was prepared to use and build upon. I feel I have definitely improved these skills and learnt some new techniques along the way. I now feel well prepared for any digital imaging task that could be set for me. When the project began, I set myself a challenge to use an online blog to record my progress instead of a sketchbook. As I had only briefly used a blog twice before for Media Studies coursework, I felt it would be quite a challenge and a learning curve, and it was. But I soon learnt how to make it suit my needs and am now well trained at it. I did realise, however, that the blog was not suitable for my Reflective Journal. I had been “Labelling” posts as Reflective Journal, which could then be viewed all together. But after a while, I realised that the reflective parts weren’t as clear as I would like them to be. So I began putting my reflections in a Word document, which suited its needs much better and was a lot clearer.
Looking back at my completed project, I am pleased to say that the outcomes have definitely been successful. I believe this because I have completed every objective that I set myself, the exhibition looks impressive and it has all been done within the deadlines. I have followed every avenue I could to allow my project to grow and develop and my tutors and peers have given my nothing but positive feedback. However, the most defining factor in this decision is that the digital illustrations I have created are both realistic and interesting and fit into the context I had originally planned for them. I now believe that my intended audience is children, which was not a conscious decision, but I realise that they project is better suited to the interest of children, due to the fairy tale subject-base and the way I have presented my work. I think the doors and cupboards will be of great excitement for children ages between 3 and 11, as they will be able to relate to the stories and be excited by the intrigue of the doors and the bright colours behind them. I think there is also a sense of the magical in my illustrations that will definitely appeal to this younger audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment