Wednesday 15 June 2011

Rapunzel Creation Two

Change of Composition
Above are is the original image I was working on, followed by two new background images. I have realised that surrounding the tower with trees and very inefficient and ineffective. Therefore, I have decided to change my compositional pathway, ad work into the right-hand image. The field provides surrounding greenery and a sense of isolation that is created in the narrative. Also, it won't require much manipulation in order to achieve the standard I am after; therefore, making up for time I lost on the bushes in the previous composition.

New Composition Alterations
As the trees are quite short in this section of the background photograph, I have duplicated the layer and shifted it to the right. This has brought over more trees, which I have layered over the top. Using the clone tool, I was able to layer a grassy patch over the path, making sure all the elements sit well together. I then experimented with creating a thunderous sky, to represent the evil witch's hold over Rapunzel. However, it didn't seem to work. Finally, I added horse footprints into the gravel of the path. This represents the prince that came to visit Rapunzel and saved her from the evil sorceress.

Shadows
As the tower structure is complete, I have added its shadow into the composition. This was done by duplicating the layer and painting the entire section black. I then Warped it so it was flat and elongated; to alter the colour, I reduced the Opacity and added a Gaussian Blur. This created a fuzzy edge, as the shadow wouldn't have a sharp edge due to its distance from the tower itself. I had to create another grassy section to layer over the shadow, to create continuity in the depth. I also altered the size and shape of some of the hoof prints, as they seemed to be in illogically straight lines.
Comparing Compositions
As I have had a change of course, I am looking at the two images to make sure I have made the right choice. Although the first design has more sections and is perhaps more interesting, I think the second is the most appropriate as it is more realistic and truer to the story. I think the fact that the new image has fewer elements allows the whole piece to work better together, as there are fewer sections to clash and, therefore, spoil the image as a whole. The perspective is also much easier to understand in the new piece. Therefore, I am convinced I have made the right decision in changing the composition to the open field instead of the enclosed forest. I had spent long enough on the original to be sure that it wasn't working and wasn't going to get any better. I am pleased with my last illustration, and plan on comparing all three to assess the need for alterations.

No comments:

Post a Comment