Monday 20 June 2011

Jar Images

Now, I am starting to create the digital jar images, starting with a brief layout and positioning of the jars.
Shipwreck Jar
During the development of this project and the previous one, I have now had plenty of experience in making underwater scenes, so I knew exactly where to start. I began with a light to dark blue gradient and added a Noise gradient over the top. This creates a sense of depth at the bottom and light rays through the water. I experimented with a whirl-pool surface, but felt it was inappropriate for the design of the jar.
To make reflections on the bottom, I used Filter>Render>Clouds and applied Colour Dodge to the layer properties. This blends in the dark and creates highlights. I then began editing the boat image I got from secondary sources. Firstly, I used the magic wand tool to select the boat. This cut out some of the sails, but this has a positive effect on the image. A shipwrecked ship wouldn't have sails; they would have rotted away, so I am glad that the selection tool I used left me with just the masts. I experimented with several layer property settings before I chose the ones I did. I decided on Multiply because it created a ghostly effect, by reducing the opacity of the lighter sections and making the darker sections darker. I also decided to break the ship up into different sections. This allowed me to layer the two different sections over one another to create a denser look and the impression of a more violent incident.
I am very pleased with the final look of this image. I think it is very effective and has the right atmosphere to get across the abandonment of shipwrecks. I think this is due to lack of sea creatures and the darkness of the water. I felt it was important to put this image in my series as the legend of Mermaids tells tales of them luring ships onto the rocks. Although this isn't how the story is told in the fairytale, it is mentioned several times and there seems to be a sadness in the characters when it happens.
Fish Jar
Moving on the second Little Mermaid jar, I began in the same way as the previous to make the general blue background and rays of light. I then used a brush I downloaded earlier to help create the fish shoal in the full illustration, which contains lots of different examples of fish and sea creatures. I used these as a basis, added colour and adjusted them in various ways to create deep-water life.
By adding some blue to the glass of the lid, I have created a more realistic representation of water inside a jar, as it would be reflected in the top to an extent. I also felt the bottom of the jar wasn't dark enough to give a good impression on dense water, so I adjusted the gradient to make a darker bottom.
Above is the final image for the second digital jar I am making. I am unsure how realistic it looks in terms of the creatures, but this is the best I could do with the time I have and the resources i he access to. If I had more time, I am sure I would have done more research into this idea, which would have improved my image greatly. However, I am happy with the overall look, as in my exhibition there will be plenty more to see besides this image.


These jars are now complete; however, there are still two to complete. I am currently struggling for ideas for these two jars and so I am going to spend the next few days working on my presentation and, hopefully, gain some inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment