Thursday 23 June 2011

Digital Jars Continued

Now that my exhibition space is nearing completion, I can return to the last of my digital jar creations. I also have some new ideas. See Sketchbook. These images have not needed any further research, as I learnt everything I need from the Jars research earlier.

Swallow Jar
As I don't have access to a swallow, I have used the internet to gain a good image suitable for my needs. This piece is going to be quite simple, but will be effective for it. I have traced the shape of the jars and filled it in with sky blue. I then used Filter>Render>Clouds and erazed to create a couple of patches of clouds. This adds to the sky effect, making it more realistic. I then positioned the bird as I wanted it and adjusted the settings to make it a little bit more rounded and fuller in shape. The final step was to add the highlights of the jar back over the top of the inside image, which is something I have been doing to all of my jar images. This is a very important step, as it creates the illusion of the glass at the front of the jar making the object look to be inside the jar, rather than stuck over the front.
Above is the final image that represents the Inchelina story. It shows the Swallow that she saved from the Mole's tunnel, and who in turn saved Inchelina from marrying the Mole. He is a very important character, who has great influence on the plot. I considered representing the Swallow with a feather, but felt that was too vague and would be difficult to put into some kind of location. So I decided to go with the actual Swallow flying thought the air, as he does in the narrative.

Wall Jar
This is the simplest jar I am going to make, and I wish there was a more interesting image I could create to represent the rest of the Rapunzel story, but it isn't a long tale and has few characters and events. Once again, I used secondary sources to gain the image I required to make this image. I have edited it to create greater contrast in the colours, and have made sure it sits well inside the jar without looking out of place.
Above is the last image I needed to make for this project. It represents the wall that separates Rapunzel's parents from the garden of the evil sorceress. It is very simple, and I fear quite dull/boring, but I have made it may own by creating a dark atmosphere and putting in the right context, i.e. in a jar. There were few other options for images to represent this story, but if I'd have had more time I might have been able to find something more appropriate. However, I am currently happy with this outcome at this late stage in the project.

Before I mount these jar images in their frames, I am going to do a test print to check the colours. I will also check the detail in each piece to make sure there are no obvious mistakes. I haves realised that all of these images are quite dominated by blue. However, this is something that would be very difficult to get away from seen as two of my pieces are underwater scenes. But I am happy with them, because they will be spread out throughout my presentation, not bunched together. Also none of my other illustrations are particularly dominated by blue, except perhaps for the Little Mermaid, which actually doesn't strike me as overly blue.

No comments:

Post a Comment