Monday 18 April 2011

The Brothers Grimm Adaptation

I was intending to focus on the tales of the brothers Grimm, as they are well known and wide ranging. I have been interested in the film adaptation The Brothers Grimm made in 2005. This film reinvents the famous writers as con-artists working through towns in Germany freeing villages of make believe witchcraft. That is until they find a true fairy tale, and have to defeat the wicked Thuringian Queen. Throughout the narrative there are references to several fairy tales of their writing and others, including:
  • Jack and the Beanstalk
  • Little Red Riding Hood
  • Hansel and Gretel
  • Rapunzel
  • Snow White
  • Cinderella
  • The Gingerbread Man
  • The Princess and the Pea
The film claims that the evil Queen is famous in Germanic folklore; however, when I have tried to research the story's existence I am beginning to think that this istelf is a tall tale. there may also be other references that I have overlooked.

I have taken snapshots of the film that demonstrate some of the references I have mentioned above.
Magic Beans?!

Little Red Riding Hood

Hansel and Gretel

Rapunzel - Queen's Tower

Snow White - Witch with Red Apple

"My Little Cinderellas"

"You can't catch me, I'm the Gingerbread Man!"

Princess and the Pea - the Queen's bed

No comments:

Post a Comment